Boys Freshman Football · Boys Freshman Football beats Lawrence Central H. S. 27 – 20

20 Lawrence Central H. S.
27 Hamilton Southeastern High School
Away   Home
Away Home
Lawrence Central H. S. vs Hamilton Southeastern High School
20 27
1 -   -
2 -   -
3 -   -
4 -   -

The 2019 HSE Freshman Royals Football Team, welcomed the Bears of Lawrence Central, from the Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference (MIC) in Central Indiana. For what typically is one of the hottest games of the season being in late August, it was a cloudy overcast sky on Monday night with some misty rain in the air. The Royals would take advantage of a short kickoff and begin their first offensive possession of the season near midfield. Clayton Wilke would find several lanes to run through behind the offensive line along with timely reads from Ty Bradle in finding Avi Gipson twice and Joe Karwowski once on the drive through the air. Wilke would finish off the drive with a touchdown run near the goal line to get the Royals on the scoreboard. Owen Garvin, Bradle and Elijah Slibeck would take care of the snap, hold, and kick for the extra point to put the Royals up 7 – 0 in the 1st quarter. It was now time for the Royals Defense to take the field and after allowing the Bears to advance the ball inside their own 10 on a long pass where Cole Earlewine would make a touchdown saving tackle to force a goal line stand. Evan Sherrill would force a fumble on the quarterback keeper and Shane Gastineau would recover the ball to keep the visitors scoreless as the 1st quarter came to an end.
The home team was unable to move the ball and were forced to punt it away back to LC to begin the second quarter. The Bears offense would finally find the endzone on a short pass inside the 5 yard line to get on the scoreboard. Christian Miller would come up with the block on the extra point to preserve the lead in favor of the Royals at 7 – 6. The Boys in Blue would respond with a drive of their own led by Wilke, Earlewine, and Sherrill on the ground along with Gipson and Karwowski hauling in catches from Earlewine in the air. Wilke would finish off the drive with another short run near the goal line. Garvin, Bradle, and Slibeck would help take care of the snap, hold and kick to put the Royals up 14 – 6 to end the first half.
The Royals Defense would force a punt on the first possession of the second half but would be unable to make much of their offensive possession either and be forced to punt. A mishap on Special Teams led to the Bears beginning their ensuing possession with the ball inside the Royals 5 yard line. The LC quarterback would scramble out of the pocket and in for the score to bring the score to 14 – 12 in favor of HSE as the Royals defense would prevent the two point conversion. HSE would respond with a stellar drive of their own with runs from Charlie Baldwin, Earlewine, and Wilke along with a short pass and catch from Earlewine to John McCoy. Wilke would light the scoreboard up with a 35 yard run through the middle for the score. The extra point would be no good and the Royals would rebuild their lead back to 20 – 12 as the 3rd quarter would end.
The HSE Defense would come up with a big stop on 4th and short to regain possession of the ball early in the 4th quarter. The offense would be unable to get the ball moving and had to punt it back to the Bears. Penalties by the Bears on the HSE punt moved the ball back to the 10 yard line to begin their drive. The Royals would swallow up the quarterback for the sack near the goal line with Patrick McGrath and Gastineau in on the play. After a short punt by the Bears from inside their own 5 yard line, HSE would take over on offense with great field position. On a key 4th and long play, Earlewine would find some space to run and scramble for the first down. On 4th and Goal from the 15 yard line, Earlewine would find the endzone with his feet to put the Royals up 27 – 12 after the PAT crew made good on the kick. A late score by LC would bring the Royals lead to 27 – 20 and McCoy would secure the recovery of the onside kick attempt by the Bears to allow the HSE Offense to go into Victory Formation to end the game. On the day, the defense would be led by Alex Boothby, David Nease, McGrath, and the Front 7 for multiple tackles for losses. Earlewine and Bradle would find Gipson for 4 catches, Karwowski for 2, and McCoy for 1.
The Royals will travel to North Central to take on another MIC opponent on Saturday morning, August 31st at 10am.